Yield: 8 to 12 servings
1 pound new potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 large carrots, cut into matchstick strips
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
1½ cups whole milk
1½ cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons dry sherry
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup frozen peas, thawedButtery Piecrust
1. In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, and cook 10 minutes. (Potatoes will be only partially cooked.) Drain, and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; cook until onion is translucent, approximately 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables to a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In same pan, melt butter, and stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and light brown, approximately 2 minutes. Add milk and broth, whisking until sauce is smooth. Add thyme, sherry, and garlic powder. Reduce heat, and simmer until sauce has thickened. Season with salt and white pepper.
4. Stir in chicken, cooked potatoes, vegetables, and peas; simmer until mixture is heated through. Spoon into a 13x9-inch baking dish.
5. Preheat oven to 400°.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll Buttery Piecrust to a ¼-inch thickness. Place over filling in dish. Trim excess dough, and crimp edges. Cut vents in top of dough.
7. Bake until crust is flaky and golden brown, approximately 45 minutes.