Yield: 1½ dozen sandwiches
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups sugar, divided
1 large egg
1 recipe Old-Fashioned Peach Ice Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, basil, lemon zest, salt, and ginger.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and ¾ cup sugar at medium-high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, approximately 4 minutes. Add egg, beating until well combined. Reduce speed to low, and slowly add flour mixture, beating until well combined.
4. Roll dough into 1½-inch balls, and roll in remaining ½ cup sugar. Place 1½ inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using a flat-bottomed glass sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, slightly flatten each dough ball.
5. Bake until edges are golden brown, 18 to 24 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Place a scoop of Old-Fashioned Peach Ice Cream on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with flat side of another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream. Serve immediately.