Yield: approximately 2 dozen whoopie pies
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1½ cups pumpkin purée
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extractCream Cheese Filling
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer to blend. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Be careful not to overmix.
3. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
4. Bake until just set in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. Remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack.
5. When cakes have cooled, spread approximately 1 tablespoon Cream Cheese Filling on flat sides of half of cakes. Top, flat sides down, with remaining cakes.