Yield: 10 hand pies
Puff Pastry-Style Pie Dough
1 cup peeled, cored, and diced Granny Smith apple (about half of 1 large apple)
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
¾ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, unfold Puff Pastry-Style Pie Dough, and roll into a 15x15-inch square. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 20 circles, rerolling scraps if necessary. Place 5 circles on each pan; reserve remaining 10 circles.
3. In a medium bowl, combine apple, flour, lemon zest and juice, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and salt.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg and 1 tablespoon water for egg wash. Place 1 heaping tablespoonful of apple mixture onto center of 1 circle; top with 1 teaspoon brown sugar mixture. Brush egg wash around edges of circle. Top with 1 reserved circle, pressing and crimping with a fork to seal edges. Brush top with egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut 3 small slits in top. Repeat with remaining circles and filling.
5. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve with Caramel Sauce.