Yield: approximately 60 fritters
1 (14.75-ounce) can creamed corn
1 (15.25-ounce) can whole corn kernels, drained
1¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
1½ teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
Canola or peanut oil for frying
Pepper jelly, such as Sweet Melissa’s Jalapeño Dippin' Sauce, optional
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together creamed corn, corn kernels, ¼ cup flour, and ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Scoop mixture into small mounds, approximately 1 tablespoon each, onto prepared baking sheet. Freeze until firm, approximately 1 hour.
3. Place cornmeal in a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine remaining 1 cup flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, sugar, and red pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and egg.
4. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
5. Dredge each frozen corn nugget first in flour mixture, then milk mixture, then cornmeal. Drop into hot oil, and fry until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with pepper jelly, if desired.