Yield: 8 to 10 servings
¼ cup butter
2 cups self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix
2 cups whole buttermilk
¼ cup butter, melted
1 large egg
1 pound hickory-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
1½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Place 1⁄4 cup butter in a 13x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal mix, buttermilk, melted butter, and egg, whisking until smooth. Stir in bacon and cheese. Place prepared pan in oven until butter is melted and pan is hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon batter into pan.
3. Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes.
4. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place cornbread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet.
5. Bake at 450° until lightly browned and crisp, approximately 10 minutes.