Yield: 8 (4-inch) pies
1 recipe Basic Pie Dough
4 cups quartered fresh strawberries
1¼ cups chopped fresh rhubarb
1 cup sugar, divided
4 tablespoons tapioca flour
½ teaspoon salt
Garnish: Coconut Whipped Cream
, toasted coconut1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 dough disk to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut 4 (6-inch) circles from dough. Transfer to 4 (4-inch) mini pie dishes, letting dough fall into place. Trim edges to ¼ inch past rim of pie dish. Fold edges under, and gently pinch between the index finger and forefinger to create a wavy edge. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out remaining dough disk, and repeat steps.
3. Prick bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Bake until edges are pale, 8 to 12 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan, cook strawberries, rhubarb, and ½ cup sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until berries are tender, about 8 minutes. Strain fruit, reserving juice.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup reserved strawberry-rhubarb juice, remaining ½ cup sugar, tapioca flour, and salt. Add strawberry-rhubarb mixture to juice, stirring gently to combine. Pour into prepared crusts.
6. Place pies on a baking sheet, and bake until filling is bubbly and crust is golden, about 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with Coconut Whipped Cream and toasted coconut, if desired.