Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup whole buttermilk
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped strawberries
Strawberry Cream-Cheese Icing
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar, and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add buttermilk, beating just until combined.
3. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture gradually, mixing just until combined. Fold in strawberries. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
5. Frost cupcakes with Strawberry Cream-Cheese Icing. Store cupcakes in refrigerator for up to 5 days.