Yield: 8 to 10 servings
2 heads garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
2 cups yellow cornmeal
4 tablespoons butter
4 large eggs, separated
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut off tops of garlic heads, leaving bulbs intact. Place garlic on aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil, and fold foil over top to make a package.
2. Bake until garlic is very soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool for 15 minutes. Squeeze garlic pods to remove cloves.
3. In a small bowl, combine garlic cloves and salt. Mash with fork until a paste is formed.
4. Increase oven temperature to 400°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
5. In a large saucepan, combine milk, 2 cups water, and garlic paste. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add cornmeal, stirring well. Cook until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add butter, stirring well. Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes. Add egg yolks, stirring quickly to blend.
6. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cornmeal mixture, making sure it is smooth. Spoon into prepared dish.
7. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.