Yield: approximately 1½ dozen
1 baguette, cut into 18 (1/3-inch-thick) slices
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 dozen large eggs
½ cup mayonnaise, divided
2 tablespoons chopped capers
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Brush baguette slices with olive oil. Place slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
4. Place eggs in a large stockpot. Cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover pot, and remove from heat. Let stand for 12 minutes.
5. Remove eggs from water, and place in an ice water bath to cool. Peel eggs. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Gently remove yolks from whites. Place egg whites cut side down, and slice horizontally into ¼-inch slices.
6. In a medium bowl, combine yolks, ¼ cup mayonnaise, capers, 1 tablespoon dill, and salt, mixing well.
7. In another medium bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup mayonnaise, lemon juice, and seasoned salt, mixing well. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise mixture on each bread slice. Top with an egg white slice that is similar in size to bread, reserving remaining egg whites for another use. Spoon yolk mixture onto each egg white slice. Garnish with dill, if desired.