Yield: 6 pies
½ cup salted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 recipe Cream Cheese Coconut Filling
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add egg, and beat until well combined.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and extracts. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Using a 1⁄4-cup measuring cup, scoop batter evenly onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake until golden, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and let cool completely.
5. Spread Cream Cheese Coconut Filling evenly on flat sides of 6 cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. Roll edges of whoopie pies in toasted coconut. Refrigerate whoopie pies until ready to serve.