Yield: 1½ dozen cupcakes
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs, at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup whole milk, at room temperature
1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1¼ cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 recipe Lemon Curd Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
4. Reduce speed to low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and beat again briefly.
5. In a small bowl, combine milk and lemon juice; let stand for 10 minutes.
6. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in coconut. Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with batter. Tap pans against counter to release air bubbles.
7. Bake until tops are golden and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 12 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Place Lemon Curd Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe cupcakes with frosting, or spread frosting evenly on cupcakes.