Yield: approximately 12 servings
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Vidalia onions, chopped
2 (16-ounce) bags cut and washed collard greens
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2½ cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) container small-curd cottage cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 (4-ounce) packages goat cheese
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) package phyllo sheets
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until tender, approximately 8 minutes. Add greens and cilantro; cook, stirring often, until wilted. Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Cover, and cook until greens are tender and liquid has evaporated, approximately 45 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Drain if necessary.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cheeses and eggs, whisking to combine. Add cheese mixture to greens, stirring to combine.
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush a 13x9-inch baking pan with melted butter. Remove phyllo from package. (To prevent phyllo from drying when not in use, cover with a moist towel.)
5. Layer approximately 10 sheets phyllo dough in the bottom of prepared pan, brushing each layer with melted butter. Add half of greens mixture. Layer another 10 sheets phyllo dough onto greens, brushing each layer with melted butter. Using a sharp knife, gently score the top layer of phyllo only in 2-inch squares.
6. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 1 hour. Cut along score lines into 24 squares. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days.