Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
24 chocolate wafers, such as Famous Chocolate Wafers
1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, shelled
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
2½ tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tablespoons cornstarch
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1½ cups half-and-half
3 egg yolks
¾ cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Garnish: 2/3 cup chopped, roasted salted pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine wafers and pistachios for crust; pulse until finely ground, approximately 10 times. Add sugar and butter; pulse until blended, approximately 4 to 5 times. Using the back of a measuring cup, press wafer mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate.
3. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt for filling. Add half-and-half and egg yolks, whisking well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add chocolate, butter, and vanilla, stirring until chocolate and butter are melted. Pour into prepared crust. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly over surface of filling. Refrigerate until firm. Remove plastic wrap from surface of pie, and smooth surface. Sprinkle pistachios over pie.