Yield: approximately 3 dozen cookies
1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 (14-ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
1¼ cups toasted coconut, finely chopped
1¼ cups toasted pecans, finely chopped
½ (16-ounce) package chocolate-flavored candy coating, such as CandiQuik
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting foil hang over sides by at least 2 inches. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy, approximately 4 minutes. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and baking powder.
3. With mixer at lowest speed, slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Press mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake until light golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, in a large microwavable bowl, combine caramels and cream. Microwave on High (100 percent power) in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted and smooth, approximately 2 to 2½ minutes. Let cool slightly. Add coconut, pecans, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine.
6. Pour mixture over cookie crust, spreading evenly to cover entire surface. Let mixture cool for at least 1 hour.
7. Melt candy coating according to package directions. Spread over caramel pecan mixture. Let mixture set for at least 1 hour. With a spoon, drizzle bittersweet chocolate over chocolate layer. Let set for 30 minutes.
8. Using foil overhang, lift bars from pan. Using a 1-inch fluted round cutter, cut as many rounds as possible.
9. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.