Yield: 1 (3-layer) 8-inch cake
¾ cup coconut oil, melted (see note)
4 egg yolks, at room temperature
6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, softened
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon light coconut milk, at room temperature
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2¾ cups cake flour, such as Swans Down
1¼ cups plus 2∕3 cup sugar, divided
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 egg whitesCoconut Frosting
3 cups unsweetened flaked coconut 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (8-inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk melted coconut oil and egg yolks together until well blended. Add mascarpone, coconut milk, and vanilla, whisking to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, 1¼ cups sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture in thirds, whisking to combine.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 2∕3 cup sugar, beating until whites are stiff but not dry, approximately 5 minutes. Fold egg whites into batter in 4 additions. Divide batter among prepared pans.
5. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of layers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. Let layers cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
6. Spread Coconut Frosting between layers, and top with coconut. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake, and sprinkle with remaining coconut.
Note: Coconut oil is solid at room temperature. It can be found in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.