Yield: 1 (9-inch) 3 layer cake
1 cup butter-flavored shortening, softened
1½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups half-and-halfCaramel Apple Filling 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Generously spray a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, chocolate, and coffee to combine. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla at high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately 4 minutes. Add egg whites, in thirds, beating well after each addition. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add chocolate mixture, beating until combined.
4. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean, approximately 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Pour Butterscotch Glaze over cake. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.