Yield: approximately 3 dozen
1 (4-ounce) bar milk chocolate, chopped
1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
2 large eggs
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons red food coloring
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1. In a medium microwavable bowl, microwave chocolates and shortening on High, in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted, about 1½ minutes. Set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Add food coloring and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture, beating to combine.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring just until combined.
4. Cover, and refrigerate until firm, about 1½ hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
6. Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Using a 1-inch spring-loaded ice-cream scoop, scoop dough into mounds. Using your hands, gently roll each mound into a ball. Roll balls in confectioners’ sugar to completely coat. Place at least 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake just until edges are slightly firm, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.