Yield: approximately 2 dozen cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon table salt
8 caramels, cut into thirds
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1. In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg yolk, beating well.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and table salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until mixture forms a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Using your hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
5. Using a moistened fingertip, make a small indentation in the middle of each cookie.
6. Bake for 8 minutes. Place one caramel third in the center of each indentation. Bake until lightly golden, approximately 4 additional minutes. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Let cool completely on baking sheets.