Yield: 6–8 servings
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1½ tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2½ pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed
2/3 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1½ tablespoons white truffle oil, divided
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot, and cook until translucent. Sprinkle flour into pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to slightly brown. Add cream and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add salt and nutmeg, stirring to combine.
2. Place asparagus in a 1½ quart baking dish. Pour cream mixture over asparagus.
3. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, toss together bread crumbs, Parmesan, truffle oil, and pepper. Sprinkle bread-crumb mixture over asparagus.
5. Turn oven to broil. Broil, at least 5 inches from heat, until bread crumbs are toasted and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.