Yield: 12 servings
1 (20-pound) turkey, thawed and giblets removed
1 cup butter, softened
1 satsuma, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup apple cider
Garnish: apples, Lady apples, pears, kumquats, fresh sage, and satsumas
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Rinse turkey under cold water, and pat dry. Place turkey in a large roasting pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter, satsuma zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, thyme, salt, and pepper. Starting at neck cavity, gently loosen skin from turkey breast. Rub butter mixture under skin. Loosely cover turkey with aluminum foil.
3. Combine melted butter and apple cider for basting liquid in a small bowl or measuring cup.
4. Bake turkey for 3½ hours, basting with basting liquid every 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until skin is golden brown and a thermometer inserted in the thigh of turkey registers 170°, approximately 1 hour longer. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish with apples, Lady apples, pears, kumquats, fresh sage, and satsumas, if desired.
5. Reserve drippings from bottom of roasting pan to make Sherry Gravy.