Yield: 4 (2-cup) servings
8 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples, such as Granny Smith or Braeburn
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter,
cut into pieces
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup rolled oats
2⁄3 cup firmly packed light
2⁄3 cup walnut pieces
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
Garnish: maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 4 (2-cup) individual baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add brown sugar mixture to apples, tossing to combine. Divide apples evenly among prepared baking dishes, heaping apples in dishes if necessary. Dot tops of apples with butter pieces.
3. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. While apples are baking, combine flour for crumble topping, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, and salt. Add melted butter, stirring until incorporated. Crumble topping evenly over baked apples.
5. Increase oven temperature to 375°. Return apples to oven, and bake until top is browned and apples are bubbly, approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool slightly.
6. To serve, drizzle maple syrup over each apple crumble.