Yield: 4 (2-cup) servings
2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch dice
2 cups peeled and chopped parsnips, cut in 1½-inch dice
2 cups frozen pearl onions
1 cup peeled and chopped carrot, cut in 1-inch dice
1 cup peeled and chopped turnip, cut in 1-inch dice
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1½ cups vegetable broth
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry (2 sheets)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Spray 4 (2-cup) baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Fill a large stockpot three-fourths full with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes, parsnips, onions, carrot, and turnip. Boil until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sift flour over butter. Whisk to remove any lumps. Cook until flour begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth to flour mixture, whisking well. Cook until mixture begins to thicken, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cream, whisking well. Add cheese, herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper, whisking to combine. Cook until cheese begins to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Add blanched vegetables to mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon into prepared dishes.
4. On a lightly floured surface, unroll 1 sheet of puff pastry. Cut into 4 (4½ x 4½-inch) squares. Place on top of prepared dishes. Combine egg white and water, whisking with a fork. Using a leaf-shaped cutter, cut remaining sheet of puff pastry. Brush underside of leaf shapes with egg wash. Place on top of pastry crust.
5. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.