Yield: 8-10 servings
8 cups chopped day-old biscuits
4 cups crumbled cornbread
½ cup crumbled pork country sausage
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onion
½ cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
4 large eggs
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups grated pepper jack cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine biscuits and cornbread.
3. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove sausage from pan, reserving 3 tablespoons fat in pan, and drain sausage on paper towels. Add sausage to bread mixture.
4. Add celery, onion, and bell pepper to fat in pan. Cook over medium heat until celery is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to bread mixture.
5. In a large bowl, combine eggs and broth, beating well. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, tossing to combine. Add 1 cup cheese, stirring well. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
6. Bake until cooked through, approximately 1 hour. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Return to oven until cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes.