Yield: 2 dozen rolls
4½ cups bread flour, divided
1¾ cups warm water (100° to 115°), divided
1½ (¼-ounce) packages dry yeast (3½ teaspoons)
1½ teaspoons sugar
1cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons salt
1. In a large bowl, place ¼ cup bread flour, ½ cup warm water, yeast, and sugar. Using the paddle attachment, beat at low speed with a heavy-duty stand mixer until blended. Let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes (see Kitchen Tip).
2. Add whole wheat flour, remaining 1¼ cups warm water, honey, oil, and salt. Beat at medium speed until blended. Add 3 cups bread flour, ½cup at a time, beating until a thick dough forms. Attach the dough hook. Continue adding remaining 1¼ cups bread flour until dough forms a ball and leaves the side of bowl.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Place dough in a large bowl; spray with nonstick cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover, and let rise in a warm place (85°), until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down. Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or wax paper, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Divide dough into 24 portions. With lightly floured hands, shape each portion of dough into a ball. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheets 1 inch apart. Cover and freeze until firm. Remove dough balls from baking sheets; place in resealable freezer bags. Seal bags, and freeze. (Dough is best if used within 2 months.)
5. To bake frozen dough, remove dough balls from freezer. Place each dough ball in a muffin cup coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with a dish towel, and let rise in a warm place (85°), until doubled in size, about 1 to 1½ hours.
6. Preheat oven to 350°. Uncover dough; bake until golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
7. To bake rolls on the same day you make the dough, place dough in muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover, and let rise in a warm place (85°), until doubled in size, 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover; bake at 350° until golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and serve warm or let cool completely on a wire rack.