Yield: 1 (12-inch) cake
½ cup brown butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon orange zest
¼ cup fresh orange juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Candied Orange Slices
¼ cup apple jelly
¼ cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and extracts at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add zest and juice.
3. In a separate medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low; add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches, beating well after each addition. Spread batter in prepared skillet. Arrange Candied Orange Slices on top of batter.
4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
5. In a small saucepan, combine apple jelly and liqueur. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until smooth. Brush over cake and oranges. Let cake cool for 1 hour before serving.