Yield: 6 servings
6 slices bacon
1¼ cups butter, divided
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
2 large eggs
3 cups whole buttermilk
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons yellow self-rising cornmeal mix, divided
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet. Add 1⁄4 cup butter to skillet; melt over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chives and parsley. Place skillet in preheated oven.
3. In a microwavable bowl, melt remaining 1 cup butter.
4. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add buttermilk, whisking to combine. Stir in 3 cups cornmeal, salt, and melted butter until ingredients are just combined.
5. Remove skillet from oven; sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal in skillet. Pour batter into hot pan.
6. Bake until cornbread is golden brown and begins to pull away from sides of pan, approximately 25 minutes. Let cornbread cool in pan for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.