Yield: approximately 9 servings
6 tablespoons butter
1. In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
1 cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped carrot
½ cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup brandy
¼ cup dry sherry
1 cup tomato purée
¼ cup tomato paste
4 cups seafood stock
1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups half-and-half
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Garnish: lemon wedges and celery leaves
2. Sift flour over onion mixture. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add brandy and sherry. Cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato purée and tomato paste, stirring well. Add seafood stock, stirring well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add shrimp, salt, sugar, and red pepper to Dutch oven. Cook until shrimp are pink and fi rm, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool for 10 minutes.
4. Working in batches, place soup in the container of a blender. Pulse on medium until soup reaches desired consistency. Return soup to Dutch oven. Bring to a low simmer over medium heat.
5. Add half-and-half, stirring well. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice.
6. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with a lemon wedge and celery leaves, if desired.