Yield: 10-12 servings
1 large butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½teaspoon ground cloves
½cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
2 large eggs
½cup orange juice
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Scoop out and discard squash seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake until tender, approximatley 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash pulp.
4. In the work bowl of a food processor, process pulp until smooth. Set aside 1 1⁄3 cups pulp. Reserve remaining pulp for another use.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Spray a 9-inch Bundt pan with baking spray with fl our; set aside.
6. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, stirring well.
7. In another large bowl, beat ½cup plus 2 tablespoons butter and 1½ cups brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add eggs, beating just until combined. Add orange juice and reserved 11⁄3 cups pulp, beating until smooth. Continue beating, gradually adding fl our mixture until combined. Pour into prepared pan.
8. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan, approximately 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. In a heavy saucepan, combine remaining 4 tablespoons butter, remaining ½cup brown sugar, and bourbon. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Add cream and powdered sugar, whisking to combine. Return pan to heat; bring to a boil. Cook until thick, approximately 8 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, approximately 1 hour. Pour over cooled cake.