Decorate these Classic Sugar Cookies any way you’d like for a fun holiday treat.
Classic Sugar Cookies
Makes about 24
Write a review
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- Gel food coloring, sprinkles, sanding sugar
- For dough: In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add egg; beat well. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Beat in 4 teaspoons milk, if needed. Divide dough in half; wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- On a floured surface, roll each half of dough ¼ inch thick. Dip a 4-inch cutter in flour; cut dough, rerolling scraps as needed. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Let cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For icing: In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, melted butter, and extracts. Gradually add milk until a thin glaze forms. Stir in desired amount of gel food coloring. Decorate cookies with sprinkles and sanding sugar as desired. Let icing dry completely.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s December 2015 issue!