This creamy, golden, and delicious side is everything you want out of Mac & Cheese. You can’t go wrong with this classic!
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound American cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 pound mild Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, whisking to combine. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Add milk, salt, mustard, and pepper, whisking until smooth. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Gradually whisk in 1 cup hot milk mixture; whisk egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in pan. Stir in 2 cups American cheese and 2 cups Cheddar cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta, stirring to combine. Spoon half of pasta mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup American cheese and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Spoon remaining pasta over cheeses; top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, approximately 20 minutes.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/