With just the right amount of sweetness, this quick banana bread is perfect for both breakfast and dessert.
*Be sure to use very ripe bananas for the most sweetness and flavor.
Classic Banana Bread
Yield: 1 (9-inch) loaf
Write a review
- 1⁄3 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray bottom only of a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk and baking soda; let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture, buttermilk mixture, and banana to butter mixture. Beat at low speed until combined. Beat in vanilla. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/