The epitome of comfort with a kick: Chili Mac and Cheese. Your taste buds will thank us.
Chili Mac and Cheese
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- Green onion, shredded Cheddar cheese, corn chips, to serve
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil
- over medium-high heat. Add beef and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately
- 5 minutes. Drain; return beef mixture to pan.
- Add tomato, 1⁄3 cup water, chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, approximately 12 minutes. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- In same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in milk, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in beef mixture and cooked pasta. Serve with green onion, cheese, and chips.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/