This hearty Chicken and Dumplings Skillet Casserole will ward off the winter chill.
Chicken and Dumplings Skillet Casserole
Makes 4 servings
Write a review
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1½ cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 cup chopped parsnip
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup cold butter, diced
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- For filling: Sprinkle chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. In a 10-inch skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Wipe pan. Heat remaining 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add green beans, parsnip, carrot, and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, approximately 4 minutes. Add broth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Whisk in milk, parsley, and rosemary. Add to broth mixture in pan, stirring until mixture begins to thicken. Return chicken to pan. Cover, and remove from heat.
- For biscuits: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse flour and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture forms a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times. Roll ½-inch thick; cut into 1-inch pieces. Place dough pieces on top of hot filling.
- Bake until biscuits are lightly browned and chicken is cooked through, approximately 15 minutes. Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter before serving.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/