This Bananas Foster Crumb Cake is excellent alongside a cup of cafe au lait.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 bananas, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Garnish: caramel sauce*
- For filling: In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar; cook until sugar is dissolved. Add bananas, and cook, gently stirring, until bananas are softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; set bananas aside for cake. Return brown sugar mixture to heat, stir in rum and cream. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool until filling reaches a spreadable consistency, about 15 minutes.
- For topping: In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add melted butter, and stir until crumbly. Stir in pecans.
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, mash cooked bananas. Stir bananas and vanilla into butter mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in sour cream. Spread three-quarters of batter in prepared skillet, and spread with filling. Top with remaining batter, smoothing top with a spatula. Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Garnish with caramel sauce.
*We used Smucker’s.