The crispy edges make this Bacon-Cheddar Cornbread hard to beat.
Write a review
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Garnish: cooked and crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a deep 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet; reserve remaining drippings.
- Add onion and corn to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove onion mixture from skillet. Add 2 tablespoons reserved drippings to skillet; reduce heat to medium-low.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in 1 cup cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and remaining reserved drippings. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture; stir until just combined. Stir in bacon and onion mixture. Sprinkle remaining ½ teaspoon salt in skillet. Carefully pour batter into hot drippings. Top with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Garnish with bacon, if desired.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s January/February 2017 issue!