Always save and refrigerate your bacon drippings. These Bacon-Cheddar Biscuits are definitely worth that extra step.
Makes 14 servings
Write a review
- 2½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup cold bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon
- ¾ cup cold whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and pepper. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in bacon drippings and cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese, cooked bacon, and buttermilk just until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Fold dough in half until it comes together, 3 to 4 times. Pat or roll dough to a 1-inch thick rectangle. Using a knife dipped in flour, cut dough into 2-inch rectangles.
- Place biscuits 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s January/February 2017 issue!